Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pilgrimage - Sarnath

Pilgrimage to Sarnath
The bus took us to the Sarnath where His Holiness the Dalai Lama(HHDL) was teaching. We got in line to register and found out that we didn't have copies of our visas, so had to step out of line for those copies. Then we got badges.

A group of us then followed Chris and we found an empty wall to sit on. I wasn't able to tune into the translator on my radio, but Heather was nice enough to share one of her earbuds with me. HHDL discussed how most religions practice not harming sentient beings and he gave examples. Then he discussed karma as resulting from action/ your own causes and conditions. Other points: "Buddhahood has to come through the mind" - "transformation in the mind." No one can give you enlightenment because it doesn't "belong" to any one person. You have to find it yourself.

The monks sat to the left of us; rows and rows of monks. To the right were the Tibetan people. Several young children came over to me, so I began drawing simple pictures for them. I gave four children little labeled pictures of trees, mountains, flowers, hearts, dogs, cats, birds, etc. One child's father had to look at the pictures to make sure they were okay before he gave the picture back to the girl. The children were so cute and were leaning on me as I was drawing. I only drew on one side of the paper and they kept coming back wanting me to draw on the reverse side, too!!

When HHDL stopped for lunch we got up to go. I asked if we should just wait where we were and have someone go for food. The others wanted us to all stick together, so I followed along behind them. Soon, we were in a crowd of shoving people and monks. Everyone was trying to go in both directions and the shoving got very intense. Luckily, I was toward the outside and got pushed against a bamboo railing. Over the railing I went, but then I saw an old man who had been sitting in a chair. One man was helping him on his left side, but the crowds kept pushing against him. So, I started pushing the crowds behind him back every time they started falling on him. Finally, someone helped him climb over the railing. Then another man with an old Tibetan woman walking with a cane came by. She managed to go under the railing and I helped her a little. I grabbed onto her jacket and started following her and the man leading her through the crowds of monks still sitting. One monk looked me in the eye and said, "Help her." So I helped her from behind as much as I could and we all managed to get to another aisle way and out of harms way.

The next day, we had learned how to be pilgrims here. We found seats on the outside and didn't join the crowd at lunchtime. Instead, we left half an hour early.

Many monks would serve lassi and bread to the crowds. They carried big baskets full of round, flat bread and would pass those out or throw them like Frisbees if they couldn't reach someone. The monks also served lassi to anyone holding out a cup. They had big silver teapots that they poured from. When these were empty, the monks would race down the aisles as fast as they could. Anyone in their way would be pushed aside, so everyone learned quickly to get out of their way. Once when I went to the center aisle near the back and stood near the fence, the monks came roaring down the aisles with their teapots. It was like a strong breeze had suddenly come up!

I was able to see HHDL each day I attended his teaching. From the center aisle in the back, the view was about the length of a basketball court. From the wall, it was about the same. From the foreigners section, I was a little closer, but I could only see the side of him.

On the last day that I attended, I stayed there during lunch time. My group had been sitting near an aisle way and when the crowds of people left, they kicked up so much dust I was covered! There was so much dust that I could draw a peace sign on my backpack! Tibetan monks chanted and pilgrims with kartas lined up to meet HHDL. After lunch, I had a clear view of the golden Buddha and the Dalai Lama getting his gold robe draped back on. Then he came out to his chair and everyone bowed to him.

Much of his teachings were about activating bodhichitta and the verses of Shantideva. Simply put, bodhicitta is like putting the other person first (or put yourself in their shoes) and trying to see that everyone is the same in that, we all want happiness and to decrease suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment