Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Maha Kassapa Statue

I had heard about and seen the newspaper clippings about this piece of statue that went missing for more than 70 years. Finally, I had the opportunity to see it for myself on Sunday. The story, as I heard it, is that Maha Kassapa met the Buddha somewhere between Rajgir and Nalanda (most likely at present day Silao). Upon meeting, the Buddha commented on Maha Kassapa’s fine robes. Maha Kassapa folded his fine robe and gave it to the Buddha to sit upon. The Buddha in turn gave Maha Kassapa his old robe. Maha Kassapa became one of the Buddha's top disciple. This statue, or what remains, is of Maha Kassapa kneeling and offering his robe to the Buddha.


Deepak and I rode the public bus to Silao. There we stopped at a tea shop near the post office and waited for the area officials. Upon their arrival we made introductions and had a cup of tea. Then we walked through the village to a Hindu Shrine for Shiva. Along the back wall was the remains of the statue and other Buddhist artifacts. Several villagers joined us and posed for the picture. Next to an ancient well, I had my photo snapped with some village children.

Area Official-Block Officer (in yellow), Deepak (kneeling),
Vijay Singh in white (Silao), Narindar-ji on the right (Nepura)


Outside the temple, two pieces of land were discussed. Deepak pointed out for the officials the potential future sites for the Maha Kassapa Statue. Discussions around logistics for parking and ease of access were also made. As the men carried on their discussion in Hindi, I observed women looking down from roof tops and then took the opportunity to take a picture of a group of children. As I held the camera up, two older girls ducked down behind the group, not wishing for their pictures to be taken.


I then asked a girl of about 10 to take my picture. She had never used a camera before. I tried to explain how it worked to her in English and then stood back for a pose. When I took the camera back, there was no picture, so I demonstrated for her. On the second try, she took a wonderful picture and I gave her a loud and sincere, “accha” (good!). She gave me a big smile.

As we walked away and headed to the main road, I spotted a small boy chasing after a Kargosh (rabbit). Upon following, we found the rabbit inside someone’s house. The family allowed us to hold the rabbit and take some pictures. I was told that they had 8 rabbits inside the house! Then it was back to the main road and kadja!!

No comments:

Post a Comment