Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Heritage of Nalanda Seminar

National Seminar on “Heritage of Nalanda: Icons and Symbols; Thoughts and Literature”


11th-13th February 2011

Nava Nalanda Mahavihara


Nava Nalanda Mahavihara held a three-day seminar on Nalanda Heritage. The Governor of Bihar was in attendance for the Inaugural Ceremony of the seminar. Dr. Panth, Vice Chancellor of Nava Nalanda Mahavihara, Dr. Jain, and Dr. Sharkey (from Boston) were also present on the dais with the governor. Their speeches addressed the rich heritage of Nalanda. Dr. Jain’s speech was in Hindi. I listened for vocabulary words that I knew and tried to follow along as best as possible.

Prior to the governor’s arrival, I was requested by the university students to sit by them. We passed the time by casual conversation in English. The students in turn taught me some basic Hindi.

Because the governor was coming, I decided to dress in my best clothing available, which happened to be my red sari. I was well received by all who commented on my “Indian dress.” I think everyone was appreciative of my attempt to dress in the style of Nalanda!

In the evening, I attended a presentation on Juarfidh, a recently excavated site near the university. Members of the Archeological Survey of India and faculty members made presentations. It was very informative.

Unfortunately, due to prior commitments, I was unable to attend the rest of the conference. I had only received a hand-delivered invitation about one and a half hours before the expected start time of the seminar.


Dr. Panth, Governor Kumar, Dr. Sharkey, Dr. Jain

Dr. Panth presenting the Governor with a Buddha statue
surrounded by the university students


No comments:

Post a Comment