Sunday, July 11, 2010

Countryside Bicycle Ride

Sunday, July 11th, 2010

After my afternoon class, I decided to get a little exercise. I hopped on my loaner bicycle from Ven. S- and headed for the village of Nalanda. As I rode, I took in all of the sights and sounds. I had only been to Nalanda, once before on the back of a motorcycle....

Today, I was by myself taking in the sights. I rode past lots of people and cows and an area with lots of street vendors. At one place, it may be another university, men were playing cricket. I would have loved to have stopped and watched, and several men motioned me to do so, but I did not see any women spectators! I kept riding along and was chased by small boys “meowing” at me. They can run fast with no shoes! I could see a road that seemed to parallel the one I was on, so when I came to a T in the road, I turned right and didn't go on to Nalanda. The road was fairly desolate, except for women and children working at their homes. This road was taking me past beautiful farm land. I road past a group of children who ran up to me and started grabbing at me and the bike. That was a little unnerving, especially because it wasn't my bike! Then the road began angling to the left, away from where I thought it was going to take me. I had my cell phone with me and wondered if I would be able to reach A- if I needed help! I continued to ride on a short distance, passing some boys hanging out at some structure that I couldn't read the sign. The road turned left and I found myself in a small forest of straight trees in standing water. There were a few women and and a toddler on the road besides myself. I couldn't help but think of the Hansel and Gretl story. Up ahead were two men sitting in chairs. One looked like a guard, so I decided to turn around and not ride into someone's property! I had continued on hoping that the road would angle back towards town so I didn't have to ride past those little girls. No such luck and I found myself once again being chased by little girls. I was riding fairly slowly through the little crowd and found myself nearly stopped by children grabbing onto the bike rack. They wanted food or money or attention. Their mothers called to them to leave me alone(I think) and I continued on pedaling faster this time. Still the little barefoot girls were very fast and I really had to pedal hard! One old woman motioned eating and said channa (food).

As I rode back through the bizarre, one boy called my name. I had introduced myself to him the other day when I was out walking. He said he was selling things and would I buy. I told him “Not today” and he wanted to know where I had gotten the bicycle. I told him it was a “monk's bike.” I keep forgetting that they don't shorten “bicycle” to bike! He seemed like a bright boy with great business sense!

I continued my ride back to the university and arrived safely.

1 comment:

  1. The property at the end of the road actually turned out to be the Xuanzang Memorial Hall. Perfectly safe!

    ReplyDelete