Sunday, July 11, 2010

Bucket Bath

The bathroom is completely tiled which makes it wonderful for bathing and washing. I can splash water anywhere and it all goes down the drain.
I found a couple of large buckets in the bathroom upon my arrival and had read about the “bucket bath” concept just before I flew here. Here's what I do: if there is power, I'll turn on the small water heater, and if not, then I'll just use cool water.

I put a bucket under the faucet and sometimes wet my hair. Then I'll add some Dr. Bronner's soap to the bucket and fill it ½ to ¾ full. Next, if I am washing my hair, I'll shampoo my hair. I brought a wash cloth with me and now I'll dip that in the bucket and wash my body. When I'm all through, I'll usually turn on the shower to rinse off and the rinse water goes into the bucket.

Now the bucket is full of water and soap and ready for my clothes that I wore the day before. I hand wash my shirt, skirt, and underwear in the bucket and lay these across the towel rod for rinsing. Now the soapy bucket of water is poured down the toilet to make it do a full flush (not that it is necessary to do so). Then I fill up the bucket to rinse my clothes. 

I'm sure I could get away with taking normal showers and let the water run down the drain, but this way just seems a little bit more eco-friendly!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment