My classes at Nava Nalanda Mahavihara (NNM) have started. The monk-students wanted for four sessions, but I was given permission only for two sessions, six days a week. The classes are full; the morning session has about 38 students and the afternoon session has about 28. I’m teaching a little basic grammar and also some pronunciation through reading the Khuddaka Nikaya II, The Dhammapada.
I have a white board, which I use a lot. I can also plug my laptop into the projector. There are four fans in the room and we often open the windows for air. The air conditioner doesn’t seem to work. This morning the students and I spent the morning sweating for an hour! I was pretty zapped of energy by the end of class. This afternoon was pretty much the same. I didn’t have a handkerchief, dupatta, or towel, so I was constantly using my sleeves to wipe off the torrents of sweat on my face!! When I left the classroom and walked outside I saw that my skirt was totally soaked with sweat. It was like being fully clothed in a sauna.
The students, though, are all very dedicated and hard working. It is a pleasure to be in their company and they in turn are teaching me the Dhammapada. Now, I just have to work hard to learn their names!
I have a white board, which I use a lot. I can also plug my laptop into the projector. There are four fans in the room and we often open the windows for air. The air conditioner doesn’t seem to work. This morning the students and I spent the morning sweating for an hour! I was pretty zapped of energy by the end of class. This afternoon was pretty much the same. I didn’t have a handkerchief, dupatta, or towel, so I was constantly using my sleeves to wipe off the torrents of sweat on my face!! When I left the classroom and walked outside I saw that my skirt was totally soaked with sweat. It was like being fully clothed in a sauna.
The students, though, are all very dedicated and hard working. It is a pleasure to be in their company and they in turn are teaching me the Dhammapada. Now, I just have to work hard to learn their names!
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment