Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Animals 2

Animals - 15 July 2013
There are four dogs here where I am staying. The orange-haired female dog that I’ve known since 2010 which I call “Lal”, an old gray dog missing one hind foot whose hips are being eaten away which I call “Old Gray”, the female gray dog whose front paw is so badly damaged, and a dark gray dog I call “Gray.”

The day after the doctor came to look at the female gray dog, I could not find her anywhere to give her medicine.  I looked four different times all over the campus.  The next day, someone said they saw her, so I went looking for her.  With the help of many I found her lying in some tall grass. I used the topic spray the doctor had given me, but the dog refused to eat any of the food mixed with the medicine. Her paw was gone at this point.  I decided the following day not to attempt any more doctoring because I think it is too late for that and, I don’t think it is safe to go near this flesh eating bacteria. She needs to die in peace without my interference. I wish there was something more I could do but I can’t.

“Lal” comes by and whimpers to me. I think she is the mother of the injured dog and probably of “Gray.”

 “Old Gray” came by today. He is missing a back paw and his hips are slowly being eaten away. He had two holes on his hips when I saw him two days ago. Now he has a fist sized hole there.




The hurt gray female was nowhere in sight.

I go out and witness this terribly painful existence of these animals and there is nothing I can do for them. I can feel compassion for them, pray that their suffering ends, and then not dwell on them.  I think that is all I can do.

***Update***
The hurt dog came by. I fed it cookies. Then I managed to grind up some of the pills and mix it with cookies. It ate it up. Her poor foot was bleeding though.

Later that afternoon, I saw her lying in some grass outside of the university near Kapatiya village. I was on the back of a motorcycle, so I only caught a glimpse of her.  I have not seen her since and I think that she probably removed herself from the university in order to die.

I have not seen "Old Gray" since the 15th. I think his time has probably come too.

***UPDATE*** 31 July 2013
After my last update, the dogs surprised me by coming around again!  I fed “Injured Paw” one more time with the medication, but I think that was her last supper. I haven’t seen her since.

I’ve been giving “Old Gray” the rest of the medication that was meant for “Injured Paw.”  He needs it just as much.  I think it allows him to sleep, hopefully pain-free, for a short amount of time. He looked at me with his sad eyes and I just told him that he is a “good dog” and tried not to let him see my eyes tearing up.

“Lal” comes by periodically. She’s one strong matriarch.  One day when I went to class I didn’t properly lock my room. She happened to push open the gate and lay on my porch. Good guard dog!  She came off the porch when I arrived, but then she tried to get back onto it before I locked the gate.  I felt bad keeping her off, but I know these mangy dogs are not supposed to be on the porches. She didn’t come visit me after that!




No comments:

Post a Comment